Another meal created in the midst of packing using the odds and ends still available in my kitchen! The husband thought it was tasty, so I thought I’d take a minute to share… Have I mentioned how amazed I am at how slowly packing goes with two tots 2 & under? We move in one week and two days! I’m genuinely curious to see whether or not I will manage to get everything packed in that time.
This soup reminded me of the comforting, classic tomato soup taste, but with so much more flavor and filler! 🙂 I took it from appetizer to meal. That’s what happens!
Glorified Tomato Soup
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 7 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 lb fully cooked kielbasa turkey sausage diced
- 2 bell peppers chopped (any color)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 can (6oz) tomato paste
- 1 can Mexican style corn (11oz)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, oregano & garlic (14.5 oz each)
- grated parmesan and multigrain tortilla chips for serving
Bring 2 1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil. Add rice, cover & simmer until done, about 35 minutes.
While rice is cooking, get your sausage & veggies cut up. Saute sausage, peppers, & onion in olive oil until veggies are tender and sausage is lightly browned. Add Cajun seasoning and pepper. Stir in flour until blended.
Stir in tomato paste, corn, & diced tomatoes. Pour in remaining 4 1/2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir until thickened slightly.