This recipe edited from Taste of Home provides a fun alternative to using lasagna noodles and it’s deliciously healthy!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 – 2 bell peppers chopped*
- 3 – 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jar (24 ounces) chunky red salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans rinsed/drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomato sauce + 1/2 can water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 whole wheat flour tortillas ripped in half
- about 4 cups shredded cheeses**
* I used one green and one red, but any colors would work great!
** I used cheddar & mozzarella, but a Mexican blend would probably be tastier. We just like to get the cheapest kinds, and they worked fine. 🙂
Brown your beef and onion over medium heat until cooked through.
Add in the bell peppers, minced garlic, and frozen corn and cook for a couple minutes longer.
Stir in the salsa, beans, tomato sauce/water, chilies, taco seasoning, and pepper and heat through.
Spread half of the meat mixture on top, followed by half of the cheese. Repeat layer.
Cover and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Top with tortilla chips if desired and try to let it sit about 10 minutes before digging in. We had these corn muffins with honey as a tasty side.
P.S. You could definitely halve this recipe if you don’t need such a big batch. Also, I used a 13″ x 9″ baking dish, but it would probably work out a little better in something slightly bigger.