My favorite kind of food…. healthy and delicious!! This is a also a great meal for anyone with kids because they can pick what toppings they want and, I can attest, may eat impressive amounts afterwards. This idea came from Six Sisters’ Stuff and couldn’t be much easier.
Slow Cooker Mexican Haystacks
- 6 or more frozen boneless/skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 packet your favorite taco seasoning
- 1 jar chunky red salsa (I used a 24oz jar, but less would be fine too!)
- cooked rice (we like to use brown rice!)
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- red bell pepper diced
- onion diced
- other toppings of your choice!
Plunk your chicken in the crock pot and sprinkle taco seasoning on top. Dump your salsa over the chicken, cover, and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours. Shred it up with a fork and keep warm while you cook your rice. I cooked 2 cups dry brown rice in chicken broth (it really boosts the flavor!) and had to make one more batch for the amount of chicken we had.
Scoop some rice on your plate, add on the chicken, toppings of your choice, and enjoy! We think all Mexican food needs cornbread on the side. If you’re interested, this is one of our favorites: Buttery Corn Muffins.